Thursday, February 21, 2013

500 Bibles

50 Holman Soldier's Bibles


It happens, for various reasons, that I get behind on this journal.  All of this, of course, is written and posted via a computer and I usually use a PC but, in September, my PC went to the doctor for a serious virus infection and it had to be completely wiped and all data and the programs had to be restored.  One comment on that.  These people who write and send viruses are mean; it's just mean and uncalled for; it's theft as they steal from us our ideas and our work.

All of that has to do with this; I keep the records for the Bibles we have given on my computer using Microsoft Excel and I have not yet got all of the programs restored.  So, I have been keeping records with just a notepad.  Our goal was to increase our purchase and donations up to five hundred of the Bibles this calendar year, 2013.  We had some monetary donations to us last year and as I looked at our account, I saw that we could complete a purchase of fifty Bibles and still have a small operating fund left in the account.  Our goal is to provide Bibles, not keep cash on hand, so generally, we are happy with about $200 maintained in the account.

We had dinner at Garfield's last evening, February 3, and after that, I walked over to nearby Ruth's Christian Book Store, ordered and paid for fifty Soldier's Bibles.  I took ten from the store's stock and forty will be on the way to me in a few days.

As mentioned in previous posts, these are Holman Christian Standard Bibles (HCSB), and they are in the series of Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Coastguardsmans Bibles.  Most of those we have given have been the Soldier's Bible and the Marine's Bible but we have given of each in the series, plus a few for police and fire.  More than one hundred of the Bibles have been the Marine's Bible and now over two hundred have been Soldier's Bibles.  I do not have the exact figures on that right now.  The Bibles now cost me $19.99 with the discount that my supplier gives me so the fifty we purchased yesterday cost $999.50.  These is the second time we have been able to purchase fifty at one time.  The last purchased fifty were shipped directly to the 75th Ranger Regiment at an undisclosed location over there.

Driving me to make the purchase now was my goal to reach 500 Bibles in 2013 and I'm pleased that we have done that.  Pleased is understated; I am overjoyed to have reached the goal of 500.  Note that it now costs $19.99, but in the past, before I was offered any discounts, I was paying as much as $26.00 per Bible and then it was lowered to $24.00.  Simple multiplication of $19.99 times 500 would show you an expenditure of $9,995.00 and then when you add the many Bibles that we purchased at the higher prices, you can quickly see that we have exceeded $10,000.  It is not about the amount of the dollar, it is about the quality of the Bible and these are good Bibles and I've been proud to give them to our service women and men.

I wish to thank the donors we have had and with their permission, I would identify them, but I do not yet have permission.

Stephen Joe "Red Boots" Payne

No comments:

Post a Comment