Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Soldier's Bible; "He is the People."

Sergeant First Class Robert Kowal, United States Army

Some time after I had begun giving The Marine's Bible directly to the marine recruiters, Sergeant Matthew Ocasio and Gunnery Sergeant Charles Baker, I stopped by to leave five Marine's Bibles and the office was closed.  Next door and slightly to the west was the Army Recruiting Office and I asked the sergeant there if I could leave the bibles with them for the marines.  Sergeant Deberry allowed me to leave them for the marines to pick up and I asked him if he knew about The Soldier's Bible and he told me that he had one he had purchased when he enlisted in the army some years before.  I took one of his calling cards and a little later, I delivered The Soldier's Bible with his name, Kirby Deberry,  imprinted on the cover. I did that without asking him because I knew he had one and liked it a lot.  Sergeant First Class Kowal worked with Deberry under the command of Sergeant Ronald Cains.  When I had a chance, I asked Sergreant Kowal if he would like one of the bibles and he said that he would.  Later, I had the chance to ask Sergeant Cains who also said he would, so soon after Deberry had his bible, I bought The Soldier's Bible for both Kowal and Cains, so I had pretty well supplied the office with them.

Sergeant Cains was approaching retirement and asked me one day if I would complete the section where the names were intended for the giver and the recipient.  Cains said, "Years from now, I'll remember that you gave this to me but I won't remember your name, so please print it for me and then sign it."  I completed that for him and now and then someone asks me to do that.  I don't usually because I am in a rush to get the bible to its owner and I don't want to be presumptuous.  I know that the bible is what is important, not who gave it to the recipient because they don't really know me.  A few do, yes, but most might know who I am or something small about me, but that's all.  We connect only through the recruiter or sometimes a parent, relative or friend of the soldier or soldier to be. 

One lady who heard about our giving bibles to the soldiers asked someone and I got word of her request and I bought a bible for her grandson, who was enlisting soon, and I just happened to deliver it when she was in the beauty shop.  She asked me to thank the people who did this service, and one of the women there turned to her and said, "He is the people who do this." 

I know people know and care about our small program.  Some do not say thanks, and notice that I did not say "do not even say thanks."  Some people are stunned or overwhelmed when a stranger does an act of kindness, any act of kindness, and in their hearts they are saying thank you.  It's just hard for them to say thank you and I understand, so I don't worry about it.

About a week ago, a dear friend gave me $50.00 and told me to use it to buy bibles.  Since he, Warrant Officer William "Bill" Quick, was a soldier, it seemed only right to use his generous donation to buy Soldier's Bibles so I bought two.  One went to Sergeant Curtis Hedspeth, a previously enlisted soldier who was rejoining the army.  He was in the office completing some papers when we gave him The Soldier's Bible.  It was a joy to watch him, as he looked at it, saw his name on the cover, rose from his chair and walked around to where I sat, shook my hand profusely and said a sincere thank you.  I was overjoyed that he was so moved by this simple gesture.  It just makes me feel good when one of the soldiers gives me that kind of reward.

As the lady said, "He is the people who do this."

Stephen Joe Payne

No comments:

Post a Comment